Thursday, December 27, 2007

Launch...

Flying into Miami was beautiful. We flew along the coast. As we went inland, there were small lakes, river, tributaries, and so on surrounded by houses. There were narrow golf courses surrounded by houses. It all looked like a luxury place.

Now I have a fairly short layover before the next flight- on to Guatemala!

*****

Well....a bit longer layover- delayed an hour right now.

*****

We finally took off- in a sparsely filled, large plane.

Flying into Guatemala City, two hours late, I could see the city lights. They were in clusters that seemed to go around mountains or something- I couldn’t tell from the air.
After landing and going through customs, I collected my luggage and connected them into a “ducks in a row” configuration. It worked pretty well. On my own, there’s no other way I could manage six bags on wheels and one on my arm- yes I know, LOTS of luggage! (I’m still working on is the traveling light concept.) =D

The whole Dvorak family, living in Guatemala, was there to pick me up. After getting all my bags loaded, we headed off up the mountain. When we turned onto the dirt road leading to the property I felt more like I was in familiar territory. It was a more comfortable and peaceful feeling. The road itself was smoother than when I was here in the rainy season- I was told they recently smoothed it out.

After moving my belongings into what is now my room, I fished out what I needed and got to bed. However, I didn’t really sleep as much as I could have. My brain was running with hundreds of thoughts. It seemed like I was awake and asleep much of the night- which was actually morning because I got to bed at midnight. But it wasn’t stressful- just possessing everything I think.

So, I’ve been launched onto the mission field! =)

1 comment:

Samantha F. said...

HURRAY!!

(Side-note: You come across very clearly on here!)

Silly me, I didn't realize that you'd posted. THANKFULLY, your mumsy is a very helpful and considerate woman. She let me know that you had posted details on life in Guatemala, and now I'm here!