Thursday, January 3, 2008

First Day of School...

I just finished my first day of teaching here in Guatemala. It went well.

The first day of school starts with an sort of opening ceremony. Different people participated in different ways. Being that I'm still learning Spanish, I prayed in English...they were okay with that. (The prayer was my part.)

After opening the school year I got started teaching. I showed my students their books and some school supplies- which they were excited to start using!

I'm still getting the feel of how everything will really flow, but I've at least started and can adjust as needed. God is faithful!

Yesterday the power went out in the afternoon and was out for much of the night, coming on for a brief time- maybe an hour- before going out again. The power outage was due to the wind- it was howling around the house. The temperature has for sure dropped in the last day or two. It was in the 40s last night. (I noticed this morning that my bedroom windows were not closed all the way...so, in the future I should be a bit warmer than I have been at night!)

I am so blessed! Today the classrooms were changed around and I now have a sort of sweet- bed room, bathroom, and middle room that is larger-which I think will be great for worship dance! I have so much of my own space now! It's such a blessing!!!!

I'm not only developing a good relationship with my students, I also gets lots of hugs and "Rebecca"'s when I walk into the main room of the house where I'm staying. All but the youngest in that house come for hugs and want to talk to me- some in Spanish which is helpful. =)

I really am blessed! God's grace is on me for the cold as well- I have to keep remembering that. There are for sure people who have a lot less than me!

Remember, God loves you soooooo much!!!!!!
Until next time...

1 comment:

Samantha F. said...

*HUGE GRIN*

Awwwwww, you look so cute! All bundled up and stuff! Praise the Lord, it's so cool to see you!