Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Shaking in church...

I'm a bit behind in posting about this, but I thought I'd let you know about Sunday's church service. It was my second time being in a Spanish speaking church in Guatemala. The first time I didn't understand much at all. So, this time Becky asked one of the older boys to translate for me. He did his best, as hard as it was because of how fast everything was said without pauses, and it made a big difference in how much I understood. I was very grateful for the help!

Okay, at the beginning. We arrived at church in the van (this van holds a lot of people, yet is narrow and has a good turning radius). So we got out of the van, went in the church, and found seats- worship had already started. I really like that they have the words to the songs on the wall because I can understand more and can actually follow along. I knew two of the songs in English, so it was easier to sing them in Spanish- I already knew the tune. In both songs that I knew, the power went out!

Now, the power going out here is not really the same as if it went out in the USA. When the power goes out here, it's just a normal part of life- everyone keeps on going, sometimes adjusting for the lack of light or something. So, when the power went out in church, everyone kept on singing and a guitar was unplugged to go acoustic. So, things carried on...

During the sermon, translation helped soooo much! The power was still out for most of the service- so everyone scooted closer and the pastor talked louder. During the service, there was a smallish, I guess, earthquake. Everyone sitting felt it. It started at one side and moved across to the other. The interesting things was the pastor didn't feel it and kept on preaching. People started waving him to the side- away from the hanging speakers. He realized what was happening and moved back. The the earthquake ended and service continued...as if nothing happened! Amazing. =)

There have been several earthquakes in the past week- though none for a few days now. The biggest was probably on Friday- which was the previous post. There has been no damage that I know of. God's hand is on us and He is taking care of us. It is so good to be in His care.

Well, that's all for now...there's a prayer meeting soon...
I'm safe in His hand.

4 comments:

Sabra said...

We appreciate your updates and insights into life in Guatemala. We're praying for you, and know that God has you safe in the shelter of His wings. Praise His beautiful Name!

Samantha F. said...

Dear me! Are earthquakes a weekly event year round in Guatemala?

Rebecca said...

I think earthquakes happen often here, but not on a regular schedule. I don't think there have been any since last Sunday.

Really I can't say they happen every week or at a certain time of year. I do know that wherever God has us is safe.

cliff_klavan said...

Hello,
I was randomly looking on the internet for information on Dave and Becky Dvorak, and some how came across your blog. About Five years ago I live with Dave and Becky Davork for about four months. It was truly an amazing experience and I hope God blesses you and teaches you in your experience. if you have any pictures to show I would love to see some.

take care and God bless

Chris